Saturday, 26 February 2011

Stormtroopers in Stilettos Launch Night


As a child the bladder testing car journeys to my grandparents in Leicester and Weymouth were made bareable by the sounds of Queen. Their Greatest Hits tape was my favourite among my Dads other travel soundtracks which included Sting, George Micheal and Bette Midler. 'Under Pressure' which featured one of my other loves, David Bowie, became a firm favourite and is still a song that causes me to sing at the top of my lungs whatever the situation or location... and however appropriate. I can clearly recall the sad day that Freddie passed , I remember being so utterly shocked and running to my parents to tell them the news while shedding a tear... I didn't know much about the man himself but it was one of the first celebrity deaths that really affected me, I guess for a lot of people his music, heartfelt lyrics and unrivalled showmanship had touched their lives more than they had realized.

So as a Queen fan you can imagine I was cockahoop to be invited to the launch night of the exhibition. I attended with Edward and Matt for a good night of Cheer Up Clothing bonding and hoped to catch up with a lot of familiar faces from the industry including the lovely Purple PR Team. To get to the Truman Brewery we faced a challenge of avoiding the temptation of curry houses the laced the route to the venue.... we passed unscathed and eventually arrived to a see of faces staring at red carpet which was being patrolled by various statuesque females (men in drag to be exact). After a short wait we were ushered in and handed a glass of champagne before pa-rousing the extensive exhibition. I don't wish to tell you too much, in terms of what is featured in the exhibition, as part of the joy for me was discovering new things, potentially life shifting moments in the bands history.... and the catalogue of stressful and funny tour anecdotes....
what I will say is that the show is extremely well put together, with enough contemporary methods to hook in the young visitors (the footage which can be viewed with earphones and 3D glasses) but keeping it simple in other instances when a quote blown up on a wall can be powerful enough statement.

I would encourage all Queen fans to visit but also music enthusiasts... to be honest I challenge anyone not to be moved or taken in by the display... how can you deny the importance of Queen in terms of musical influence....you'd be hard pushed to find a band that could enthrall a whole stadium like they could....

I found some of the inclusions quite emotional and I hear that Brian May and Roger Taylor were taken back by the some of things that they had been reminded of via the show. In the haze of decades on tour I can imagine some memories had been filed away or previously touched on from a different perspective..

So after we had looked round, although I could have spent a whole day looking at everything, we headed to the party room to mingle with other guests and enjoy the celebration aspect to the evening. The photos below detail the events from the night.... the rest I'd rather keep to myself... let's just say I was not feeling too fresh the next day!

Excited about the night ahead...
What handsome boys....

One of the legendary catsuits!
Strutting his stuff in the way only Freddie could....



Thank god it worked!
The menu which turned out to be lethal...
Ed comparing nail varnish with Jessie J.... standard
This is me looking a bit lost before chatting to my idol, the one and only Dave Grohl, thankfully he lived up to his reputation of nicest man in rock... phew no dream crushing this time.
Ed had spotted something scary coming this way... Matt and I are happy in our ignorance

Shameful posing here...

As always we made sure to indulge regularly in the canapes

The equality of my workplace continued when Edward instructed our new friend to give me the broom
SHARE:

1 comment

Anonymous said...

you are such a lucky girl
thanks for the photos

Followers

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Designer Blogger Template by pipdig