Thursday, 29 December 2011

The Sophie Awards 2011




There doesn't seem a more appropriate way to wave off 2011 than a little awards ceremony... Okay, so a ceremony might be exaggerating it a bit as it is just a mere blog post, but it will function as a great way of summing up the successes, highlights (and lowlights) of the year. These are my personal choices, so I expect a lot of you will disagree, but I guess that is the point of having your own voice via a blog....


Funniest Interview - Deaf Havana at Slam Dunk. Polar were right up there too.


Most Inspirational Interview WE ARE AUGUSTINES (they would also be up there for many of the best music award nominations)


Biggest Tabloid Scandal  NEWS OF THE WORLD/Ryan Giggs 

Villain of the year  You know who you are....

Personal Vice of Year Chicken Katsu Curry, Nando's, Choc Chip Cookies

New Personal Low Receiving personal mail from the people at Pot Noodle and Nandos


Most Annoying Thing of the Year  Being ill far too often, people being oblivious as they walk slowly in front of me, compulsive liars, selfish people, having no money, being single, the fact that I fall over on a daily basis, consistently losing things, make up spillage's in my favourite bags, ladders in tights, allergic reactions, dying Blackberrys, TFL, Wisdom teeth, GO COMPARE adverts....I could go on!


Weirdest Item Sent To Me For Review- A Bottom Enhancer to achieve Pippa Middleton pertness.... Personally I think the after clip in the gif shows that the padded pants actually achieve a Minaj or Kardashian...



how do you make a gif

Most Painful Beauty Review - Eye Definition (essentially having my eyelids tattooed) 


Best Beauty Treatment  -  Jinny Lash Eyelash extensions



Best Press Trip - The Amathus Beach Hotel and Spa Resort, Pathos.
A wonderful place spent with some lovely new Journalist and PR friends. Shout out to Bex, Sara, Vix and Pegi. Never eaten so much in my life though..




Best Trip  -  In April I headed to LA for a combined work/holiday trip. Quite a few pals were out there recording including Matty B of Cheer Up Clothing/You Me At Six, who had already been joined by my other Cheer Up colleague Edward . I got to catch up with them as well as make some new lovely  pals and catch up with people I'd met on my last visit. Thanks to Mike and Charlie of Wall Street Riots for the shelter and ping pong during my stay, to Chris for giving me a wonderful night-time tour of the city, Mike L for the scrummy brunch, One Night Only for the Tequila shots, Ian for the excessive amounts of hamburgers and chips, and Mr Hendrix for the kayaking in Orange County.
















Best Festival Performance - The winner isn't necessarily my favourite performance but the one that surprised me the most. I was not prepared to enjoy My Chemical Romance so much. Their performance at Reading Festival was pretty incredible.

Most fun had at a festival - Sonisphere


Edward Sonisphere

Sophie shouts

Rollin



Most Impressive Stage Production - Take That Progress Tour - (yes I do have a Take That sign on my face as well as my T-shirt). For your interest we were front row, the downside being that we were  situated next to an incredibly sweaty woman who had also pooed herself. She didn't want to leave her place so decided to try and keep it a secret, despite a visible stain and gag inducing stench. Take That were predictably amazing though.




Gig That Made Me Feel Both Old and Young At The Same Time - Apart from Take That which inevitably took me back to the simple days of youngster-hood and fan-girling. Seeing Bush play the Scala took me back to being an angsty early teen, the feeling of nostalgia reminding me that those years are now far gone..



Most Fun Gig -  Steel Panther at House of Blues, or Friendly Fires.


Interviewee that rinsed me the most - Sean Smith or Adee Phelan

Adee - ' Like you, a bit rough around the edges, bad voice, average hair, dresses okay... that's cool'
Sean - 'You only remember Chyna cos you look like her, she was a she/him'.. Me: 'So you are saying I have a semi penis?' Sean: And a manly face

Cringiest personal moment of the year - Vomiting in a bin on a train in front of colleagues Ed and Mattand trying to stay cool while chatting Dave Grohl.... both occurred within hours of each-other.



Most overused word of the year - 'Winning' or 'Reem'


My Most Extreme Moment



Sophie Skydive


Music - Ones to Watch for 2012 - My Idiom boys have their debut album out which will include a stonking single featuring Sean Smith and Benji Webbe. Arcane Roots, Polar, Don Broco, Deaf Havana, Twin Atlantic, Spycatcher are all awesome live acts and will undoubtedly build on their successful year of festivals and touring in 2012. Young Guns will release their second full length, which I have been told is even more epic than 'All Our Kings Are Dead. Lana Del Ray will also continue to intrigue. The hardworking Clement Marfo and The Frontline are also some Brits to watch....

Song of The Year  Video Games by Lana Del Ray - honorable mentions go to Foo Fighters with Rope, Chase and Status with Hitz, Twin Atlantic with Make A Beast of Me, Young Guns with Learn My Lesson and Naked And The Famous With Punching In A Dream. (and the many others I am sure to have missed)

Album/EP of The Year Impossible to choose but I bloomin' love the Crosses EP

Party Track of The Year   We Found Love by Rihanna feat Calvin Harris  

Party of The Year - Rimmel London






Style Icon Potential - Lana Del Ray - Her combination of retro beauty and edgy rebellion is sure to be a winner next year.



Best Dressed of The Year - Tinie Tempah and Rosie Huntingdon Whitley


Favourite S/S Collection - Christopher Kane



Best S/S 2012 High Street Collection - River Island - amazing collection that made me want to fast forward to festival season immediately.




Most Generous and Friendly Brand- Marc Cain. Not only do they create extremely wearable clothes season after season, the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. They even dressed me for fashion Week in September.


In a Marc Cain leather dress from their A/W collection

Biggest Fashion Splurge - After realizing that I will never be able to wear those super sexy heels - because of my clumsy nature, high arches and weak ankled tiny feet - boot/wedges became my style object of desire. My favourite of the year was this pair by Carvela which were reduced by £90 in the sale! Mega win!


Model Of The Year - The MALE model Andrej Pejic and Charlotte Free



Best Fashion Trend - Controversial, but these are my personal awards.....I thought sheer was used to beautiful affect this year, particularly via layered maxi skirts. I also loved collars, whether they were peter pan, used to add preppy-ness to dresses or attachable and embellished. 



Worst Fashion Trend -  I am unable to pull off the outlandish print legging, but I am quite content to let the likes of Jessie J get on with it. I still can't believe the prevalence of Uggs in 2011 - I am not criticizing the company as a whole just their ubiquitous soft boot. Crocs are a given every year.










Best Beauty Trend - Ombre/ Dip Dye Hair...


Worst Beauty Trend - The Only Way is Essex inspired looks and bleached Eyebrows



Hottest Man - Ryan Gosling (obviously) and Jon Kortjarena from A Single Man. He is almost too good looking. I'd definitely fall down (or vomit)  if I met him.



Hottest Female - Amber Heard, Audrey Tatou, Mila Kunis (she is cute and sexy - a rare breed) and Rihanna... need I say more!



Best Actress - Jessica Chastain (Tree Of Life and The Help), Michelle Williams (My Week With Marilyn, Blue Valentine)



Best Actor - Ryan Gosling - Can this guy make a bad movie? I predict Michael Fassbender for next year.




Best Film - Senna  - tragic, emotional, inspiring.
Ides of March - Suspense, intrigue, conspiracy.



Best Rom Com - Crazy, Stupid, Love



Film That Broke My Heart   'Never Let Me Go'

Thanks to the choice of music the trailer alone had me welling up. I took 5 boys to watch the film with me at the cinema and they hated it. It was bleak and harrowing, but I loved it... I thought there was such beauty in its sadness. 


'maybe none of us really understand what we’ve lived through, or feel we’ve had enough time'.

You’re always in a rush, or else you’re too exhausted to have a proper conversation. Soon enough, the long hours, the traveling, the broken sleep have all crept into your being and become part of you, so everyone can see it, in your posture, your gaze, the way you move and talk.

It had never occurred to me that our lives, which had been so closely interwoven, could unravel with such speed.

Best Reality TV Show I don't care one anyone thinks I love Strictly Come Dancing, and I'd like to learn how to do the Quickstep in 2012... any takers?

Favourite TV Shows An Idiot Abroad, Peters Versus Life, Would I Lie To You, Frozen Planet


And to conclude the inaugural Sophie Awards a massive THANK YOU.... to readers of the blog, my lovely colleagues and collaborators (some of whom are pictured below) and last but not least to my dear and treasured friends and family.Writing this post has reminded me that despite the tears and stresses it has been pretty stonking year.
Congratuwelldone to all that contributed to the joy.

Cheers to a happy, healthy and successful 2012
xxxxx





















SHARE:

No comments

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig