Thursday, 26 January 2012

Smooth You Salon - Review

  My new 'do'... look, no split ends!!

Smooth You
70 Essex Road, N1 8LT
T: 0207 704 1955
M: 07989378764

So, 2011 saw me once again completely fail to stick to my new years resolutions. Not only did I continue to brutally squeeze my many constellation-like formations of spots, I still moisturized far too infrequently, and left my tresses untouched for an almost unthinkable amount of time. In fact last summer I ended up picking up the nickname Bob Marley - not for my ability to produce Reggae classics, but thanks to my impressively matted mane, one that resulted from the onslaught of summer festivals and their associated lifestyle. To avoid having to try and construct some sort of acceptable style with my unmanageable straw-like tresses during the party-heavy festive period, I booked myself into Smooth You. I hoped/prayed their healing hands would counteract all my neglect and wrong- doings of the past year, just in time for my first Christmas shindig.

A mostly pleasant walk from Angel Tube station, the main salon doesn’t really showcase any show-stopping artistic flair, nor is it particularly unique in style, but it is light, airy and clean... and these are qualities that shouldn’t be sniffed at. As soon as I came into the gleaming white space I was greeted by a perfectly groomed lady and asked whether if I’d like a refreshment. They have various exciting options - even Champagne if you are so inclined on a weekday morning. My sensible/boring water arrives with a tasty treat.. and anything food-like, with the bonus of it feeling free is always a good addition in my books!




 From the off Senior Stylist Steven could see my hair was in dire need of some tender lovin’ care, particularly after its first ever dye session at the beginning of last year, one which appeared to have sucked all the moisture out of it’s former glory. He opted to give it a treatment before getting going on the cut. Prime Plenish was used to strengthen my weakened hair, with the Muroto Volume treatment adding much needed oomph to my hair. I have always loved the over the top glamour of big hair, I’m not one for that sleek wet look that’s all the rage on the catwalks at the moment - mainly because it would expose my oversized ears!

Now, massage chairs are one of those things that sound fantastic, but it isn’t always the case - with bias I completely concur with Ryan Goslings opinions in Crazy Stupid Love. In the past I have found the intended relaxing movements far too vigorous and intrusive. But todays chair was so good that Mr Sandman found an opportunity to pay a visit. Combined with Stevens second to none head massage.. we’ll say no more!

We are all aware of the stereotype of hairdressers and their unrivaled ability to chat. On occasions it’s merely a to and fro of banal chat, with the odd frivolous question regarding X Factor or the Soaps. Occasionally it’s an all out therapy session. With Steven it just felt like I was chatting to a friend, a lovely and interesting one with the handy ability to transform my looks. I even came away with some great music tips!  It has been a fair few weeks since the treatment and style, and despite the fact I am yet to take Stevens advice on more appropriate shampoos and conditioners my hair still feels like the softest of angel hair. And Steven, if you are reading this I promise to get the ends trimmed more regularly than usual!

I had first visited Smooth You a few months back to celebrate their launch, joining the team for a tour and quick restyle - while indulging in champagne and canapes of course. Despite it’s many winning qualities, I voiced concern about its location. I had worried its situation off the beaten track would hinder it’s success. I’m most pleased to have been proven wrong. One hint to their future success should have been the owners Patrick and Luma Mitchel. The exotic stare-inducing Luma, has many years experience in fitting hair extensions, having run several successful hair extension salons in San Paolo. She also serves as a perfect advert for her craft. Patrick completes this perfect partnership with his stunning track record in business and finance.

They must have had a feeling they were on to a winner, and it would appear that positive word of mouth has done the trick. Smooth You are now in the lovely position where they are able to expand, opening two new salons this year. They will still keep it a boutique in feel, but reveal different lines within ‘Smooth You’ brand. i.e a floor for Smooth Hair, a floor for smooth Beauty and a section for Smooth Extensions. Steven also revealed some other exciting developments within the salon including the recent collaboration with the BEFFTA Best hairstylist 2011 winner – Eugene Davis. The superstar stylist, who has worked with the liked of Aaliyah, Mary J Blige, Gillian Anderson and Lil Kim to name but a few, will be joining the team twice a week as a Wig Expert and Creative Stylist. Eugene has over 20 years worth of industry experience from Music, TV, commercial, advertising, editorial work and much more.



With the top notch team they have on board, and the vast amount of treatments on offer -  they have cutely compact rooms downstairs offering numerous treatments for face, body, skin, hands and feet - Smooth You is the perfect one stop destination for both a relaxing beautifying session or a complete image re-haul. I’m going to persuade all my frenzied brides to be pals to have a pre-wedding/ hen party pamper day there... after-all there’s got to be some benefit to being the perennial bridesmaid!


Monday 10.00am – 6.00pm
Tuesday 10.00am – 6.00pm
Wednesday 10.00am – 8.00pm
Thursday 10.00am – 8.00pm
Friday 10.00am – 6.00pm
Saturday 10.00am – 6.00pm
Sunday - Closed

www.smoothyou.co.uk
SHARE:

No comments

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig