Thursday, 3 January 2013

The Sophie Awards - My Year in Review (kinda)




I had big plans for my yearly round up blog post, but life and it's struggles got in the way over the last few weeks meaning that this summary barely scratches the surface. I made a start though, so hopefully you can join me and enjoy reminiscing with me on just a few moments from 2012....


Funniest Interview of The Year


The Blackout always provide quality soundbites from interviews, but it would be too easy to praise the Welshmen for their quick wit again, so this year we have a draw between Don Broco and Lee Nelson from Leeds Festival. The funny thing is that all the interviews from this weekend were edited, and some blinding moments will sadly never see the light of day. I'd say it was probably wise that mine and Bob's (Blackout) chat about IBS was removed.

Being called frigid, or is dancing without the support of a good bra the winning moment? You decide...








Nicest Interviewee of the Year

I am happy to say that there are many candidates for this accolade, but because it was the first time I'd met him I'd say Justin for The Vaccines just pipped it. Not only was he a delight to chat to, his tour manager and him were very accommodating when we had to repeatedly change the time of the interview because of another band's antics.




Gig of The Year 

Young Guns at Shepherds Bush Empire. A very special night and so wonderful to see good people achieve and receive deserved success. 




Festival of the Year

This year I went to Slam Dunk Festival, Goodwood Festival of Speed, Relentless Energy Drink Nass Festival, Leeds Festival, Download, Freeze, V Festival, Hackney Weekend, 1234 Shoreditch Festival...phew...I think the winner has to be Leeds Festival. I did 30 interviews over the weekend as I was working for the festival during the day and for Relentless doing the late night tent...ok, it nearly killed me, but looking back it was pretty swell.

Best Meal

I am not into overly fussy food, I like good old fashioned grub -  big portions and cockle warming. That said, the contemporary fusion food we sampled in Jersey's Saffrons restaurant at Hotel De France was spectacular.


Best Hotel

Obviously it depends on what criteria you are considering when passing judgement, but I had the best time staying at The Landmark. The staff were friendly (and quirky), the room was modern but classic.. and huge. Check my review below....




Best Salon

Bleach London allowed me to be daring but in a less scary way when they delivered a temporary peachy pink, which made me feel like a new person, which trust me is a great thing! I relished my new colour and definitely started a new obsession....



Daniel Galvin Jnr helped me to enjoy going to the hairdressers for the first time in... let's just say a lot of years. After my amazing detox treatment and va va boom blow dry I am definitely going to return in 2013!


New Band Discovery

This year I was introduced to the fantastic Dry The River. I first met Pete and Scott at the Garage ahead of their performance for Relentless Energy Drinks Energy Session, and then later in the year for a pre - Reading and Leeds natter. Sadly due to my non stop work situation at Leeds festival I didn't get to watch them, but I have very much enjoyed their album over the last few months. Top band, top chaps, top hair/beards, top videos....check out my fave New Ceremony below....


Film of the Year

Almost a tough one for me to pick, mainly because of my awful capacity to remember what I've seen over the last 12 months, so predictably I'm picking the ones that I have seen quite recently.
Argo was the film that had me quite literally on the edge of my seat, with my hands cupped over my mouth in anxiety. If I had the known the real-life events and outcome of the story, which I probably should have, I may not have been so enthralled and suspense filled, but my lack of knowledge actually enhanced my cinematic experience on this occasion. Skyfall earned the position of favourite Bond movie so far and signaled a new era for the franchise. The Perks of being a Wallflower will I'm sure become a future 'coming of age' classic, and the young leads did a great job. Silver Lining's Playbook had the perfect combination of dark and light elements and featured two of my favourite actors Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, they were great together in this film.



Favourite TV Show

I know that most people will be writing Homeland, but I missed the first few and have decided I will wait and watch the show in one long marathon. There were some great one of drama's that pulled on the heart strings too. The Human Mannequin was the most inspiring watch of the year. Modern Family, Would I Lie to You and Idiot Abroad 3 were reliable on the chuckle front, but I am sad to admit that shows like Made in Chelsea have hooked me in this year as well as The Great British Bake Off.



Album of the Year

Young Guns- Bones

Deftones - Koi No Yokan

Crosses - (EP)

Dry The River - Shallow Bed


Song of the Year

Kodaline - All I Want
Young Guns - You Are Not
Bruno Mars - Locked Out of Heaven
Jessie Ware - Wildest Moments
Crosses - Telepathy
Gaslight Anthem - 45


Trend of the Year

Dip/Tye Dye - I know its hardly flipping the script, fashion forward or trailblazing, but I still blooming' love it. I can't help myself. Same goes for galaxy prints. I've stopped buying, but the lust is still there.



Red Carpet Moment of The Year




Gwyneth Paltrow in Tom Ford 

Style Icon 

Diane Kruger - fashion forward but elegant - a designer's dream.
Jennifer Lawrence - She always looks so comfortable in her skin, looking healthy rather than waifish and gaunt.
Miley Cyrus - I admired her for stepping away from her Disney girl image. Lopping off her trademark mane and swapping for a peroxide crop is a gutsy move and she had to put up with a fair amount of flack for it.

Other mentions go to Rihanna (who can pull off both street-wear and glamour with ease) Jessica Chastain - I adored her McQueen dress at the Oscars this year, which perfectly complimented her red hair and Michelle Williams pixie crop looked wonderful with her array of vintage looks.

Fashion Bargain of The Year



These studded beauties from Matalan were a steal at £14

Tech Item of the Year

In 2011 my Blackberry was almost responsible for a stress stroke, so I have to shout out to HTC for providing a phone that not only worked (yes you'd think that was a given) but actually made my blogging a million percent easier. But taking this prize has got to be my new Go Pro Hero 3 Silver Edition, which helped me film some awesome clips at You Me At Six's latest gig at Wembley Arena (head to my Youtube Channel to see)



Maybe I'll find the oomph to do a follow up post soon... in the meantime I wish you all love and happiness in 2013 xxxxx











SHARE:

No comments

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig