Friday, 23 May 2014

Hawsmoor Sevel Dials - Review


Last Friday I took Simon out for dinner for his 30th Birthday... I thought I'd let him review the night....

Tonight, my girlfriend surprises me on a pre-birthday meal in town, and I'm pretty stoked when I see I'm being taken out for a steak at Hawksmoor, even more so as it's a first time at this restaurant.

First impressions? As soon as you step in to the restaurant, you are immediately greeted by warm, polite and friendly staff. The decor is what you would expect from a high end steak restaurant; Copious amounts of wood flooring, modern but traditional stylings from the tables, to the bar area, to the brick curved ceilings and black painted metal fastenings. I really like how they have kept a lot of the original features of the old Watney-Combe brewery as it really blends well with the atmosphere of the restaurant. Looking over at what people are eating, I get excited about what the menu has to offer.

First up, we get drinks. Soph get's the Green Apple and Mint Sizzler, and I get the Classic Old Fashioned. The house bourbon is Wild Turkey, which is the one used in my Old Fashioned and it goes down a right treat with the fresh orange rind. The sizzler is zesty and refreshing with the taste of green apple coming really coming through.

On to the Steaks. It's nice to see a lot of choice on the boards and on the menu, and if you're a proper steak guru, you would probably appreciate the vast amount of choice given in this restaurant, but I stick to the individual pre-selected choices on the menu, and go for the 300g Rib Eye. Definitely getting my fair share of beef with this beauty! The waitress recommends sharing the sides, as they apparently quite generous in the servings. There's 3 of us, so we get the Triple Cooked Chunky Chips, Baked Sweet Potato, Creamed Spinach and the Herb Garden Salad. It also has to be said at this point, it was apparent that our waitress, Louise seemed very helpful and informative, without being forceful or annoying. So far, no criticism whatsoever.


Food comes out within 20 or so minutes from ordering which was pretty impressive considering it was peak time on a Friday night, and all signs showing that it was getting busier by the second. SO, it looks amazing, and on first bite you know it's first grade beef as it melts in your mouth. The next 10-15 minutes, I'm literally in beef heaven. I know it may seem exaggerated, but this is probably one of the best steaks I've ever had. Not just the meat, the sides are equally enjoyable. The triple cooked chips, are soft inside and crunchy on the outside, the baked sweet potato with the sweet taste of maple on the skin, creamed spinach seasoned well and creamier than you would expect, and the mint/parsley garden salad is refreshing and compliments the richness very well. Also, we managed to get the perfect amount of food. If I had gone for a starter, I would have probably felt pretty horrendous at this point.

Slightly off topic, but earlier in the evening I ask my girlfriend if she has any unexpected surprises up her sleeve as I'm nooooo a fan of them. She and mum assure me, there aren't any and told me not to worry and to enjoy the evening. I trust them. So after my thoroughly enjoyable main meal, this happens...


Despite having to endure 30 seconds of birthday humiliation in front of the whole restaurant, and a breakout of nervous forehead perspiration, I am blown away by this insane cake! The biggest bacon cheeseburger cake I've ever seen which get's everyone looking around to see what it actually is. I notice some people actually looking over and asking the waiters what it is I'm having! Brilliant. We put this aside, and ask for the desserts. Out comes the salted caramel tart, and it's a rich and heavenly as you can probably imagine.


After tucking into this little bit of heaven, I am definitely on the verge of exploding. I ended up having to share this out as I pussied out, a third into the dessert and had to get everyone else to help.
On the whole, this was probably one of the best steak restaurants I've ever been to, insanely good actually. However, you wouldn't really expect anything less when your faced with the hefty bill at the end but worth every penny based on the food/service/atmosphere and the location of the restaurant. It's the kind of place you wanna go to on rare occasions, to really treat yourself or someone else when you can, so you can really appreciate it. A great night. A big shout out to Lucy Hand @Handmadecakes for the incredible burger cake!
SHARE:

No comments

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig