Thursday, 4 August 2016

SUICIDE SQUAD REVIEW AND OUTFIT POST


Last night I was lucky enough to attend the Premiere of Suicide Squad - despite all obstacles in my way. I hadn't tweeted that I was due to go because I only got the invite through on Tuesday, and I've lost track of the amount of times I've tweeted things, then they don't end up happening, and an embarrassing backtrack is forced to commence. I also found out fairly last minute that I had secured some presenting work on the same day, and knowing how shoots tend to go, I knew there was a fair chance things could go awry and I'd end up having to give it a miss.

In the morning I  filmed for an arts media group that is funded by the Arts Council. I was reporting from the Royal Academy and their yearly Summer Exhibition. No cue cards or autocue so I had a script which I had to learn in one day - eeek. This is not easy when you suffer from brain fog and have to get a train to head to the filming location at 7am - I'm not functioning in any human way at that time of day. I won't talk too much about that as you'll see that in an upcoming weekly vlog, but I got home sometime after midday. Rather than staying in London and changing into my premiere outfit in public loo somewhere, I went home. Unfortunatly I had some work I needed to do, so two commutes to and from the city was the only way I could work around things. 

 I then had to wait for a script to arrive so I could record a voiceover for the same company. The video was due to go live Friday so I needed to get this done before heading out to the premiere. So, as you can see, it wasn't clear whether timings were going to work out for me and whether my levels of energy would allow me to see out the day's events. While I waited to for the VO script to arrive I decided to get premiere ready, to increase the chance of me being able to meet my deadline and make the swish event. In the end the deadline for the VO was pushed back so I was good to go and enjoy and evening with DC Comics at The Odeon Leicester Square.

Before I talk about my outfit......



 FILM REVIEW

So let's talk about the film now. It was hard to ignore the reviews that went live before I attended the premiere, but I went with an open mind. Unfortunately we live in a world well people love exclaim their outrage and offence...it's an epidemic - one which hards free speech, but also creative freedom. People have argued that the gun worship of this movie is incredibly ill-timed and insensitive. We are in a climate where we wake up daily to horrific news from around the world, some of tragedies taking place with the use of guns, and while I understand what they're getting at, if we were to take that stance many films (and great ones) wouldn't get made. Every movie could be linked to a news worthy story, a subject of controversy or sadness, or a topic that offends or upsets someone because of their own personal experience. While I believe we need to keep a firm eye on the content the public, and more importantly kids, consume, I think we need to rational about this.  This movie is a comic book movie - therefore it's fantasy, exaggerated, hyperbolic, hyper-everything really.....Therefore I think people with a good hold of their faculties will be able to separate this from 'the real world' and see it as escapism. It may at times seem relentlessly action/violence filled...but it's always going to be pretty heady in these elements when you consider the main characters and basic story outline. 

Now I've got that elephant put in the other room, let's talk positives first. Everyone enjoyed the fun use of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody in the trailors, and this fun use of music is a consistent thread throughout. All the songs featured are familiar and help to set a tongue in cheek tone. With each recognizeable and often uplifting song that sings alongside the edgy or bleak imagery you find yourself smiling or wanting to sing along, but simultaneously being reminded of the films juxtoposition between fun/humour and darkness/depravity. 

I loved David Ayer's work on Fury so I was interested to see how he shaped up for this ensemble piece too. I loved the interactions between the few main characters in the 2014 war film, the tensions and the comradery, and I wanted to see how this would be transposed for this army of misfits. The interaction between the motley crew provide some light relief throughout. Yes some of the wit is cheesy and predictable at times, but I actually think that's kind of what you want from this sort of movie - simple humour that would appear in a speech bubble on pages. From his speech on stage last night you can see how much he cares about the cast, but more importantly the DC community. He really wanted to create this for them, and whether or not you feel he has succeeded, his intentions were made very clear and enthusiastically last night. For me to truly connect with a characters I would have liked a bit more time to get to know their stories, how they tick, the deeper working of their psyche, and all the other cliched sayings. I would have happily  given up a bit of action for the sake of feeling more invested in the characters....but that's hard with a cast of so many anti heroes. 


Predictably Will Smith is strong, one of the most watchable stars of our generation. I found myself waiting for him to return to the screen, his appearance always delivering the best one liners. I could probably watch him filling out a tax return form and want to throw at Oscar at him. Margot Robbie has perfected the art of playing the unhinged and star crossed, but weridly loveable Harley Quinn. It's no wonder she appears to be everywhere at the moment, she has both ability and star quality. I would really like her to take on a more unpredictable role soon. I don't mean she has to go as far as Cameron Diaz in Being John Malkovich (although that would be great) but I'd love to see her truly challenged, as I believe she has the goods to deliver. We've seen that she's able to show female strength through her recent roles as a tough more contemporary version of Tarzan's Jane, and as this kickass and opinionated Harley, but I'd love to see her in a multi faceted dramatic starring role. 

Cara undoubtedly looks great, but I don't want that to be the first thing I find myself wanting to say when I watch a female on screen. It's quite hard for me to review her acting skills as most of the role required a deep and effected voice while being ghoulish - this she did absolutely fine. Again, as another female who is a buzz in Hollywood, I'd like to see her given a meatier role (if she's ready for it) which showcases what she can do. 

I've adored Viola Davis since The Help. She has the incredible ability to appear to have a fairly motionless dead-pan expression, while being able to tell the audience exactly what she's feeling/thinking. It must be in the eyes, so subtle but almost unrivalled in effectiveness. She was perfect for the role of Amanda the government official giving out the orders. She's a force to be reckoned with, unrelenting if you will, and you feel like she wouldn't let anything get in her way - a characteristic which should see further focus in future movies. 


My only real quibble was the lack of Joker screen time. I think Jared Leto is an incredibly talented actor and it was his performance I was most looking forward to.  I just felt that with the obvious efforts he put into embodying the character and finding his own way or becoming an unsettling icon of the franchise, that he wasn't given enough time to showcase the results. If you're going to the extreme measures of going method with a role, you want to be given enough dialogue where that personification can breath and permeate for a while. In the short scenes we got, he was as accomplished at creepy-ness as you'd hope, but I was left wanting so much more. Hopefully his role will be increased in future movies as there is so much potential for distrubing viewing as well as capitalising on the toxie relationship with Harley - from our obsession with tabloid couple news, it's clear we are a generation obsessed with this.

I urge you not to read/listen to reviews before you go. Particularly as many of them won't have been written by people who have the right handle on the franchise and what it is meant to deliver to it's eager and zealous fans. I spoke to one of my fellow premiere attendees last night, who happens to be a big fan of the original comics, and he said although flawed, he was fairly happy with how the characters had been realised in this movie and that there were many elements he enjoyed...and of course it looked great. I voiced that I didn't feel some of the characters got enough screen time, but he pointed out that many will be getting their own spin offs, so there's a fair chance much of their personal stories and other content will be saved for those. 


A film such as this should be seen in the cinema - like most action packed films, the impact is heightened with scale. Watching the film with fans made it a more interactive expreience too, with people laughing at the in jokes, cheering when their fave characters triumphed or dropped a funny bombs, and wooping when Harley was as her sassy best. When people have been waiting for a film for so long, one with so many iconic and much loved characters, one which is so stylisticlly powerful, it's always going to be hard to live up to all expectations. There's lot to be worked on for the future films, but there is also some great stuff to build on - the potential is huge. Go see the film, enjoy the theatrics, the relentlessness, the visuals, and the nuggets of cheekyness in the script. Be part of the Suicide Squad conversation, whatever side of things you ened of being on.
I'm still looking forward to what comes next....(let's find out more about these fascinating mutants please).

What I wore 

 ASOS DRESS
BLANKNYC JACKET (ASOS)
NEW LOOK SHOES
VERA MEAT RING
BODY SHOP LIPSTICK
COLLECTION/ LIME CRIME/KAT VON D EYE MAKE UP

Unfortunately I noticed far too late that the dress code was edgy - agh what a missed opportunity to completely goth out. Anyway, I didn't have time to give it much thought so I just went for a darker lip and a dark purple eye and teamed my dress with a faux leather jkt. To be honest it's the most make up I've worn in a while, I felt completely caked in the stuff. So much so my eyes decided to stream all the way there, and by the time I met my pals outside Burger King ( I know, the glamour right?) my eyes were crusty with salt. I had a ferocious attempt to scrub it off before stepping on to the carpet, but I was still picking it off when I was sat in my seat inside the cinema.

Although not hugely edgy I feel like the marble/splayt pattern of the ASOS dress slightly nods to comic book imagery...a bit...maybe?


I wish I could just book and uber to take me there and back but sadly due to my location, practicality always plays a part in my style choices. I had to wear shoes that I'd be able to walk a fair distance in and travel the tube. I also needed a bag that would have room for my cameras and my umbrella, so I took a very unglam rucksack...I'd love to be able to take a feminine clutch at some point. Once I can afford Ubers I aim to nail this red carpet malarcky....till then you'll have to deal with a partial bag lady.

To try and grunge my look up a bit I attempted the obvious - space buns, braids etc. In the end I decided textured bed head hair was the best way to go, and I put a few plaits throughout. I'm still not overly comfortable with my hair up.


I just wanted to post this pictures to show the power of choosing the right shoe for your body. My legs are fairly stumpy for the knee down, my mums the same, another lovely family trait. I am already wearing a midi dress which will shorten the appearance of my legs so I was mindful that I didn't want my shoes to further shorten. I was going to wear these lattice Zara shoes of the left because they ticked the 'edgy' dress code a bit better. When I looked in the mirror I though they looked fine, but it was a different story when I saw the pictures. When I swapped to these New Look wedges on the right and looked the pictures it was an obvious improvement. Because you can still see a large expanse of skin on my foot, it gives the illusion of my leg continuing for longer. The wedge is also slightly higher than the heel on the Zara shoes, which also enhances the appearance of leg length. My only word of warning is that if you have a chunkier ankle you shouldn't go for a heavy strap as it will draw attention.



SHARE:

No comments

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig