Saturday, 26 November 2016

OUTFIT POST: MINGLING WITH THE STARS


It feels like an eternity since I've had time to sit at my blogger dashboard and even contemplate posting a blog. I've been trying to be a yes person this last week, in a last ditch effort to make my year end on some sort of positive note career wise. The problem with saying yes to all the opportunities that come your way is that you're so busy attending the events, meetings, activites, you don't actually have time to do the work that should follow it up. Not only that. You also end up sacrificing every other aspect of your life and your ability to function as a human. 



But it's 7.30am on a Saturday morning and Si is on his way to Taiwan, so I have a weekend to attempt to catch up without feeling guilty about dedicating the entirety to work based activites. I've been busy every day since Si returned from his European tour, and now I have a couple of days at home he's had to leave again, which is great in terms of catching up with these blog posts but not so great for our relationship. We're constantly out of sync schedule wise and it puts such a strain on things. Ugh....Tangents again. Back to the point of this post....the outfit!!


So this was my look for my most recent premiere, Allied,  the new romantic thriller starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. It's set in the forties and the costumes are absolutely beautiful, so I wanted to try and go for a retro glamour aesthetic.
I wanted my make up to reference this era too, so I went for a bold red lip using Mac's Retro Matte Ruby Woo, and teamed with a eyeliner flick and a silvery lid via Urban Decay's Naked Palette.


I didn't go for any highlight because I always think of 40's skin being powdery and soft as if they've dusted one of those big puff things all over their face and decolletage.


There's been a lot of events that have required fancy outfits lately, but I can't afford to buy new outfits each time - as much as I'd like to. 
I wanted to wear a full length gown because I feel like you immediately feel a bit more glam and sophisticated and it forces you to carry yourself in a more feminine manner - something which I could definitely benefit from.


I still wanted to keep it contemporary though, so wanted to find a maxi in my wardrobe that had a style or print that would keep the look fresh, and a bit young. 
In the end I settled on last year's Halloween witches outfit, this star print dress from ASOS.


It's a great dress if you are someone who has curves like I do. It nips in at the waist, glides over the hips, and the v neck is great for a bigger bust. The batwing style sleeves also give some flattering coverage, but because they are sheer you don't feel too covered up. The only negative is that you can't wear a bra because of it's open back. This isn't a problem if you have smaller or perky boobs, but if like me you need a bit of support or lift, this does add an element of worry to each wear. If you are willing to wear a shrug, bolero, or jacket of some kind, you can easily cover up that you are wearing a bra though.


When I settled on this outfit, I thought another positive was that I wouldn't have to wear heels because the dress was long enough to cover any evidence that I have feet. Unfortunately I didn't predict how moist an evening it would end up being in Leicester Square and how foolish my choice of maxi dress would end up being. Before I'd even stepped on the carpet my fabric flats were soaked through and no doubt contributing to a diagnosis of trench foot. My dress had also sucked up water so that 4 inches up from the hem the dress looked like it was sporting a dip dye. Remember how those 90's skater jeans used to soak up the puddles....like that, but in a secnario when you are meant to be your most polished self and not making gross squelching noises.


Another downside of my outfit choice is that it isn't really going to help me in a business sense as a blogger. The reality is brands want to promote their current lines, things that are still online...and most importantly, available to buy. If you're wearing something you bought a few seasons or years back you're not likely going to get that retweet or reblog on instagram. Brands posting your pictures and tagging you in is a very successful way of growing your following, but I'm afraid it's just not going to happen unless you can afford new clothes or in the position where brands gift you items. 
I swear so much involved in being a successful blogger is catch 22. 

So what do you think of this look? Do you recycling your outfits like me?

SHARE:

1 comment

laura said...

Could you look any more gorgeous?! WOW! xx

© Sophie Eggleton. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig